Pages

Sunday, May 14, 2017

Mother's Day Weekend Reflection

This was a significant weekend for me. I finally move out from my parent's humble abode. Given that this weekend was a weekend of giving our mothers notice of our grand appreciation of them, I was careful NOT to bring this up for discussion. Unfortunately, my pops let it slip and she found out on our way to our ever exciting dinners at Acapulco Restaurant. She took it surprisingly well but I know it will get to her on my last day. 

I went for a run today and as I ran through a bus stop a young man waved at me with an intent to make me stop. I ran past him and then realized he wanted to ask me something so I turned back. Given my line of work I could easily tell this young man was under the influence of some substance. He looked lost and fearful to ask me for help. It seemed as if there was an aura of melancholy around him. I asked him, reluctantly, how I could help. Assuming he would be asking for money I stood corrected. He simply asked me if any of the buses would be in service today. I looked it up on my speedy 3G network (HA) and found that they would be operating but at a slower rate. He thanked me and I went on my way. 

When I run I get to think of life and this young man made me reflect on where I would be without the love and care from my mother. With time I've come to realize that wealth has different meanings. Though many of us don't grow up in environments rich in resources and monetary means, we still are extremely fortunate to be raised in loving and nurturing environments. I can see clearly now, that the person I am today and my personal successes are due in large part to this upbringing. Sure it was not without its bumps, but there is no such thing as perfection. Instead, there is love and I hope that when I do have children I can provide them with the same love and care that I was nurtured in. 

With that, I love you mom and I have made sure you know it. Salud a las mamas que con gran sacrificios nos han proporcionado amor y apoyo incondicional.

No comments:

Post a Comment